So I brought my senior PHC yearbook with me to the UK. I have been going through it with various friends.
Invariably, there are several responses:
1) Man, alot of these people look rather odd.
Maybe this is just a reaction to the Hollywood picture of America that most Brits are exposed to, where everyone has perfect teeth and looks somewhat plastic. Then again, alot of the people who went to PHC do look rather odd. Is there a reason that some homeschoolers look like they are the inbred spawn of a bunch of cousins?
2) Damn that guys looks like an alien.
Name removed to protect the guilty. Surprisingly, this same person got the same reaction from everyone who saw the yearbook. Curious.
3) They laughed at our American names. Names like Tobin Duby. And "Randy" got a good chuckle, but that's only because it's the British equivalent of naming your child Horny.
4) You actually have hoedowns?
The image of Americans in plaid clothing and ridiculous hats is just painfully colonial to their eyes. They're right.
5) Where are all the non-white students?
America may be the melting pot, but maybe conservative evangelicalism didn't get the message. Our friend Eva was particularly surprised by how pasty and Wonderbread our student body was. I had to go through and point out that yes, we did have some non-Anglo students.